Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Ethanol free stations!

This might be old news to some but Minit Marts in lake locations are now selling a 90 octane ethanol free gas. It actually states that theres no ethanol blended in the gas but may contain .5% ethanol which is most likely just contamination from the gas haulers and what might be in the lines at the site. The Minit Mart in Jamestown (Russell County) and Glasgow (Barren County) are already selling this and there will probably be 2-3 locations at LBL that will be switched over soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bg64vw View Post
    This might be old news to some but Minit Marts in lake locations are now selling a 90 octane ethanol free gas. It actually states that theres no ethanol blended in the gas but may contain .5% ethanol which is most likely just contamination from the gas haulers and what might be in the lines at the site. The Minit Mart in Jamestown (Russell County) and Glasgow (Barren County) are already selling this and there will probably be 2-3 locations at LBL that will be switched over soon.
    A caution to anyone purchasing 90 octane gas. Check your owners manual on your outboard before putting it in your tank. Most boats do not recommend any octane except 87 for 2-stroke outboards, anything other than this could cause problems with the outboard. Just because it is ethanol free doesn't make it better for your engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    ?really? Pretty sure a lot of them require premium only.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mercury on mine and it requires premium gas

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a newer optimax and it states specifically to use 87 octane. A lot of the newer ones are that way. Regardless, if your outboard says premium, then 90 is still not the way to go, I think premium is 92 if I am not mistaken. That is why I say, check your owners manuals before filling up.

Post Thanks / Like
    just looked online and Mercury, Yamaha, and Evinrude all state to use 87 octane for the new motors with the exception of a few motor types.. I know my Pro XS merc takes 87. So like most people have said check that owners manual or you could inadvertantly cause severe internal damage to your motor....

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that it was ok to go up in octane but not lower in octane--that you could use premium in anything but that if it called for premium, using a lower octane could ruin an engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    I thought that it was ok to go up in octane but not lower in octane--that you could use premium in anything but that if it called for premium, using a lower octane could ruin an engine.
    x2 on that. I've used all three levels of fuels in my 1990 150 Merc with no problems. I do use the Marine Grade Sta Bil on every fill up though. I know the Sta Bil doesn't have anything to do with the octane levels, but does help out with the ethanol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_ekubass View Post
    just looked online and Mercury, Yamaha, and Evinrude all state to use 87 octane for the new motors with the exception of a few motor types.. I know my Pro XS merc takes 87. So like most people have said check that owners manual or you could inadvertantly cause severe internal damage to your motor....
    Can we say BLOWN power head.........

90 Octane in any of the newer motors......Opti, ProXS, Yama, Rude.......pass say 2005 or so generate TOO much heat and will pop them like a tin can.....

BOOM goes the powerhead.

Later,

geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Can we say BLOWN power head.........

90 Octane in any of the newer motors......Opti, ProXS, Yama, Rude.......pass say 2005 or so generate TOO much heat and will pop them like a tin can.....

BOOM goes the powerhead.

Later,

geo
    90 wont hurt it, but theres no benefit to it either. actually it may lose a little power. probably not enough to notice though.90 is just more resistant to burning that 87.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    90 wont hurt it, but theres no benefit to it either. actually it may lose a little power. probably not enough to notice though.90 is just more resistant to burning that 87.
    Well, I'm not running it..........of course, I know someone who can help me rebuild that mother when I DO blow it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    From everything I've read that is exactly right, the higher octane burns slower, Not hotter. One of the side effects of using higher octane in an engine not rated for it is carbon build up. That is a pretty big difference than what was stated earlier in the thread.