Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

A little birdy told me DALE is on fire

Good fish.

I heard that rocky points, in 30 ft of water, with grass nearby. I'm headed tomorrow. We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like
    George I’m heading down early on the 1st. Staying in Johns cabin (#4) thru the 5th. I’ll be solely fnf and would love to hear how your trip goes. Thanks in advance.
    V
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As Buck Perry said:

The fish are in the shallow water or the deep water or somewhere in-Between. Buck was a wise old engineer who liked to fish trolling spoon plugs and using a depth finder. He also know about land contours and used that knowledge with his fishing knowledge to find the majority of the big fish.

The area you describe in 30 ft of water near a grass area is just what Buck said. The grass only grows in very clear water like at Dale near the shore or in shallow water such as the top of an underwater hump that gets enough sunlight to support the growth of grass. Sharp drops near shallow water are always a good place to fish and check out. Add some cover or boulders to the area and you have a good spot for predatory fish like Bass to hang out and wait for a school of bait fish to pass by. In-fishermen guy's call this "confined Open Water" in their In-Fisherman books called Critical Concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Good fish.

I heard that rocky points, in 30 ft of water, with grass nearby. I'm headed tomorrow. We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the creeks blown out muddy on dale, specifically the river? Trying to decide whether to go there or cumberland friday

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill be there Friday. I know main lake was fine yesterday. I'd say way up probably has some color but id say fishable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Dale yesterday, for me it wasn't on fire, but pretty cold, couldn't get bit. They weren't pulling it much yesterday, today they are releasing quite a bit of water which may help. Lake level went up about 3-4 feet with recent rain. Water was clear everywhere I went.
    Cumberland is muddy about halfway up major creeks today, will probably be more towards the mouth by tomorrow and the very heads should clear up some, they are currently pulling Cumberland hard right now too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ON3 3Y3D WILLI3 View Post
    George I’m heading down early on the 1st. Staying in Johns cabin (#4) thru the 5th. I’ll be solely fnf and would love to hear how your trip goes. Thanks in advance.
    V
    Tough. The fly bite is one, but man it was COLD today. We had 4 fish in a full day, and had 10 drops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Are the creeks blown out muddy on dale, specifically the river? Trying to decide whether to go there or cumberland friday
    A buddy said up near wisdom it was blown out. I didn't get that far........too COLD to run that much .

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, it was colder than HELL, but I lived.

Got there Wed with an hour or so to fish. We fished, but BLANKED. Boo.

Thursday , the morn started at 6:00am and was 11 degrees . It warmed up to a balmy 27. FUN. We did manage a few fish, but a few is a stretch. We caught 4 on the fly, and had chances on others, but missed out.

Friday was also pretty dang cold, but ended up above freezing for the day. Eddie M and I stayed on the water from sun up to past sun down, and caught 7 on jigs and the fly. WE should have had 7 or 8 more, but just could not seal the deal.

Saturday, I had to be home by noon, so we didn't stay as long, but were still on the water by sun up. IT was around 28 or so which was balmy . I didn't even need gloves. Saturday turned out to be overcast with little wind. We managed to catch 10, and should have caught 5 or so more. I broke at least one off, and missed 4-5 other pull downs. I also had a really good Jig bite going, but Eddie and only managed 4 or 5 on the jig.

All in all it was a fun, but COLD trip.......

The bobber is working, and water looks GREAT every we fished.

Later,

Geo
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It was very good fishing for me from Wed. through Fri. night. Many smallmouth.

Yes, it was cold. I was at the lower end of the lake, and live bait was working well in 12 ft - 18 ft of water. Color of water is "night and day" difference from Cumberland, with Dale being clear, and Cumberland looking like chocolate milk (from the bridge near Pittman Creek).

Once the sun got over the hill in the morning, the bite was continuous until dark. Best fishing for me in 9 yrs. However, don't know what the current cold weather will do to fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    We fished Tuesday and Wednesday and caught six. Tried the fly and live bait. It was really cold Wednesday and the wind was howling. It was pretty tough. Look forward to getting back down in a couple of weeks though!
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post