Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Battery and T motor advice

Minn Kota Powerdrive 24v manual recommends group 27, 205 amp hot batteries. What happens if you run it on two group 24 , 80 ah deep cycles instead? Any experience appreciated. Getting old and smaller batteries to jump appeals to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Less reserve means you would not be able to run as long on group 24s versus 27s. That's pretty much it in a nut shell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Less reserve means you would not be able to run as long on group 24s versus 27s. That's pretty much it in a nut shell.
    Tks! Much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome. They recommend a specific battery size for a reason. That being, they want their trolling motor to meet expectations. When a trolling motor doesn't last as long as would be expected, people tend to blame the motor even when it's a battery issue. LOL As long as you know the score, go for it. I get it, limited space or weight restrictions. Just lower your expectation on how long you can go on a charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome. They recommend a specific battery size for a reason. That being, they want their trolling motor to meet expectations. When a trolling motor doesn't last as long as would be expected, people tend to blame the motor even when it's a battery issue. LOL As long as you know the score, go for it. I get it, limited space or weight restrictions. Just lower your expectation on how long you can go on a charge.
    Thanks again. Minn Kota recommended 105/27 group. So taking you advise, I yanked up the bow deck, and relocated the batteries closer to the hatch opening so I can lift them in and out easier, and so I can check water levels without moving batteries. I agree, pulling 6 planet boards with 4 down poles out and bucking a head wind would me a bad time to find out Minn Kota was right 🤔🤔🤬🤬👍

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it would. Knowing that's what you plan to do, you made the right call going with the 27s. There are other factors too. Having the batteries close to the motor on shorter cables will be more efficient as well. I can go all day long on a set of 27s and an 80# Ulterra on my 2500 pound rig. Having a great charger is as important as the batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it would. Knowing that's what you plan to do, you made the right call going with the 27s. There are other factors too. Having the batteries close to the motor on shorter cables will be more efficient as well. I can go all day long on a set of 27s and an 80# Ulterra on my 2500 pound rig. Having a great charger is as important as the batteries.
    Good point on charger . Bought a Minn Kota 2 bank 10 years ago and still kicks butt. In between I’ve had a Dual Pro and a Pro Marine ProSport and both retired on active duty with a couple years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    Good point on charger . Bought a Minn Kota 2 bank 10 years ago and still kicks butt. In between I’ve had a Dual Pro and a Pro Marine ProSport and both retired on active duty with a couple years.
    I am installing a Minn Kota Precision 220 on my trolling batteries at this moment. I had a Minn Kota Digital that I am moving over to my starting\Aux battery set and retiring a still working Pro Marine. I've had other Pro Marines and I know this one is on borrowed time.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post