Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

God and Religion

So, I'm not a crazy bible thumper, but I do believe in God.......

My thoughts on the matter go something like this. If God exists, and I'm sure he does, I think I'm in his good graces, and will spend my eternity in Heaven. If God doesn't exist, which is a foolish premise to me, then I've wasted a "little" of my time on this great planet worshiping an living my life "correctly".

Now for all my atheist friends and non believing friends.......If God exists, I'm pretty certain you're gonna have a hard time of it. If God doesn't exist.....great, you dodged a bullet so to speak.

I really don't care what others think or believe, it is not my business. BUT I do care when folks try to take down very established norms in this country based on their false assumptions about what those before us thought about God and Religion.
    Likes DJD, mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

My thoughts on the matter go something like this. If God exists, and I'm sure he does, I think I'm in his good graces, and will spend my eternity in Heaven. If God doesn't exist, which is a foolish premise to me, then I've wasted a "little" of my time on this great planet worshiping an living my life "correctly".

Now for all my atheist friends and non believing friends.......If God exists, I'm pretty certain you're gonna have a hard time of it. If God doesn't exist.....great, you dodged a bullet so to speak.

I really don't care what others think or believe, it is not my business. BUT I do care when folks try to take down very established norms in this country based on their false assumptions about what those before us thought about God and Religion.
    I to believe in God. I pray most nights and at times throughout the day based on what I feel in my heart at the time. What changed my opinion on God the most was growing older and having children. Going through some tough times and searching for answers also helped shape my opinion of what this life is about. I don't push my opinion of religion on anyone nor do I get into discussions with folks who don't believe simply because I don't care what "proof " they have. I have faith and that alone brings me comfort in good times and bad.

I have a few things in my life's (must do list not bucket list) one is this...I don't want to be on my death bed or seconds before an untimely death and think oh crap there is a God and I'm seeing my maker appear before my eyes and I blew it. Secondly, but not lastly, I don't want to look back on my life and have a TON of ohhh I wish I would have don't that or tried that so I engage/challenge myself in many ways regardless of age. I see it as one life to live and make the most out of it.

My mom is a Buddhist and my dad wasn't much on religion but did attend the small Southern Baptist churches in rural Georgia where he was raised and of course we went too when we were visiting family. I really had zero guidance on God, religion or anything remotely tied to the idea of who we are and how did this world come to be.

At the risk of repeating myself....seeing a baby born and watching them grow, especially as infants to toddlers makes you KNOW God is good and exists. What a miracle to behold. That's my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read both your posts carefully and I haven't much to add other than I feel the exact same way as you do. Both posts were well thought out and solidifies what I already knew about you both. I have seen things happen in my life I don't believe were just merely happenstance or coincidence. I don't go to church all the time but I talk to God often and pray for things very often. It eases my mind and makes me feel better, maybe that is what it is intended for.

I know non believers and I don't look down on them for it. Some I call friends, good friends so I don't push mine on them and they don't their's on me.

Hope and faith are wonderful things and I pray one day that I get to see my family again. Is this we have that is the here and now all there is, naw not for me I choose to not think that way. Did this earth and everything on it just happen, not for me it didn't.

God bless all of you even if you don't believe.

Mark B. Hall
    Likes DJD, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    From an anthropological perspective, I find religion and belief systems interesting. I have had a number of insightful conversations on religion over the years with friends who had beliefs very different than mine. Respectful discussion and debate can be quite informative for all parties involved. I have never entered such conversations with the intent or desire to change someone else's views. Nor would I attempt such a conversation with someone who was not interested in learning about other belief systems. I have no problem being tolerant of other people's beliefs as long as they show me the same respect. People, religious or not, who try to cram their beliefs down the throats of others or purposely mock others beliefs are extremely annoying.
    Likes DJD, Hlleonard, waterdog101, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's such a touchy subject. I'm not really the praying type. I rarely go to church. I find my faith to be the the only thing that matters. I truly believe there is a god and I've accepted him into my heart. That's all I need to know. I've seen some really incredible things and some truly awful things but there is a reason for everything. I believe as long as I hold on to that faith that I'll make it to heaven. I help serve the church wild game dinner with 100 filets of fish each year. That's really about all i do to help. Should I do more? Maybe.. But I do what I can and that's all that should matter.

I never push my faith on anyone because I find it to be rude. I have no problems with non believers. They have the right to believe what they want and that's ok with me. My good friends don't believe and they have never tried to sway me towards their views. A mutual respect for both believes and that's the way I wish it was all the time. When someone comes up and bashes my religion i usually bite my tongue and walk away. It's a never ending battle if you argue about the topic.

Post Thanks / Like

apb kingfisher

total agreement with your posts. I'm polite to thje adventists who come calling,the other christian folks who come to our door are not scorned or belittled.My last neighborhood was an example. It was orthodox catholic, roman catholic and baptist. I had a partial parochial education, my wife had a 12 year parocial. My children were both, parochial primary, public secondary, public university and private univbersity.. I pray often, but mostly to thank God for each blessing I receive. I'm a believer in THY WILL BE DONE, ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

Geo I pretty much feel the same way.

You stated if God does not exist you have wasted a little of your time; the way I see it is I am a better person for trying to live a life God would approve of.

The thing I do not understand why do atheist work so hard to do away with something they don't believe exist. It can't hurt them if we believe in God and try to do right all our lives and we are wrong.

Why are they scared of something they do not think exist?
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

AND

I don't admire the guy who runs all over creation, posting the 10 commandments. I respect the ones that know them, and practise them.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A belief in a diety and religion are separate.. I don't believe the first deals with the belief in god..
    Religious practices and literature are way more dangerous than a belief in a diety of some kind...

Post Thanks / Like

agree

This "my Jesus is better than your Jesus" just baffles me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    This "my Jesus is better than your Jesus" just baffles me.
    I've often had that discussion...does an American Indian who believes in spirit gods automatically go to hell because they have not embraced Jesus....I don't think so especially if they have never been introduced...

It is tough...

Post Thanks / Like
    Religion and politics are the two most interesting topics of discussion... Neither is benign, heard it phrased by an individual as "somebody is gona get butt hurt" especially in a religious discussion and I guess that isn't hard to understand, folks who believe in the concept almost always feel they are being attacked by the person who has a differing opinion, thats not usually true but I have seen it look that way, it is mostly the other way around...