Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Intelligent trout at Hatchery Creek

Hi,
    Took a vacation day Monday,2/13/17, and fished the newly improved Hatchery Creek near Wolf Creek Dam.
    Because I am too stubborn to buy and learn to use a fly rod,I casted flies with an ultra light spinning rod,6 LB mono with 2 foot 5 LB fluorocarbon tippet leader.
    I got skunked and saw plenty of fly fishermen struggling as well.I did not see anyone actually land a fish,
    but one guy said he had caught 20 or 30 for the day.
    That little creek is jam-packed with trout !! The water is crystal clear, and I watched them chase my lures, sniff them,nudge them,but not eat them.I tried tiny midge nymphs,salmon egg flies,a fly called a crackle-back, as well as a beetle spin and rooster tails.
    I even threw a small Senko worm,thinking they may have never seen one of those before.
    Anyway,weather was nice(About 50 degrees),stream was absolutely beautiful, and I had fun.
    As the saying goes"My worst day fishing is better than my best day at work! ".
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Hatchery Creek

It is beautiful. Haven't been skunked yet! Small flies 18-22. My best luck has been with a Flashback Pheasant tail sz 20 also a bright pink midge with a red bead sz 20 ( I think that looks like a small egg ).
    6x tippet maybe 7x ( I have a hard time seeing 7x ). I don't use an indicator but the take is really light.
    Spinning rod is fine but it would help if it was at least 7 ft long. You need to follow the flies with your rod tip
    and an ultra light is generally short.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gforcetrivers View Post
    It is beautiful. Haven't been skunked yet! Small flies 18-22. My best luck has been with a Flashback Pheasant tail sz 20 also a bright pink midge with a red bead sz 20 ( I think that looks like a small egg ).
    6x tippet maybe 7x ( I have a hard time seeing 7x ). I don't use an indicator but the take is really light.
    Spinning rod is fine but it would help if it was at least 7 ft long. You need to follow the flies with your rod tip
    and an ultra light is generally short.
    Thanks Gforce,
    I will try your suggestions.
    Since the bottom seems to be totally covered with moss,I thought an indicator may help keep the fly from snagging moss. Maybe the tiny flies don't have that problem as much.
    Kurt