Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: inflation

Post Thanks / Like

inflation

inflation at 10% is biggest on record and this is for wholesale prices.
    imagine what it will be at retail.
    all that helicopter money is coming home to haunt us.
    END THE FED!!!
    Likes GeoFisher, Devils Horse liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    inflation at 10% is biggest on record and this is for wholesale prices.
    imagine what it will be at retail.
    all that helicopter money is coming home to haunt us.
    END THE FED!!!
    Nothing to see here..........move on.

THESE policies of giving free money, and printing trillions that is backed by nothing, and then artificially freezing rates with QE2.......

We are effed........and our kids are effed..........and our grand kids......Well they will be subjugated by the next GREAT super power, cause it sure the EFF won't be us.

Later,

Geo
    Likes dragmerc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

YEA giving the rich tax breaks is like giving free money

Tax breaks for the rich lead to inflation every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Tax breaks for the rich lead to inflation every time.
    Yea, tax breaks to the rich is what is causing our double digit inflation right now.
    Just like tax breaks to the rich is what caused the double digit inflation in Carters administration.

That is all.

Later,

Geo
    Last edited by GeoFisher; 01-13-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    Likes dragmerc, Devils Horse liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Edited.....by the Geofisher self Moderation system.
    Last edited by GeoFisher; 01-13-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Edited.....by the Geofisher self Moderation system.
    😂😂GEO-SMS. We need the govt to mandate that to news networks.

Observations:
    1. Of 40 items on my frequent buy history at Sams, I’ve seen about a 15-20% increase in beef and pork only.
    2. 3 months ago gas was 3.25, today it was 2.65.
    3. Savings and cd rates are down from rates I saw as high as 2.3 to 1.15. Offsetting that car loans and home loans are less with rates down too, and my small retirement funds are seeing 7- 9% higher returns than a year ago.
    4. Used car prices are up, so cost more but your trade is worth more too.
    5. Home prices are stupid high and ouch the PVA noticed. But that also means I got more to write off my taxes- fed this year.

So to me it ain’t great, but it don’t stink as bad as the headlines are reading . How about you all? What ya really personally seeing?
    Likes Devils Horse liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoraSpook View Post
    GEO-SMS. We need the govt to mandate that to news networks.

Observations:
    1. Of 40 items on my frequent buy history at Sams, I’ve seen about a 15-20% increase in beef and pork only.
    3. Savings and cd rates are down from rates I saw as high as 2.3 to 1.15. Offsetting that car loans and home loans are less with rates down too, and my small retirement funds are seeing 7- 9% higher returns than a year ago.
    5. Home prices are stupid high and ouch the PVA noticed. But that also means I got more to write off my taxes- fed this year.

So to me it ain’t great, but it don’t stink as bad as the headlines are reading . How about you all? What ya really personally seeing?
    1. Yea meat prices in particular are definitely up.
    2. Gas is still high in most areas. Some with close refining have rebounded a little, but still high, and WAY off of the 2.20 prices of a year ago.
    3. I don't save in CD's so I don't know a whole lot about those rates, but bond rates are completely off, which is a sign of inflation.
    4. That is a horrible argument. Used car prices are up and it is ok for other car prices to be up? Nope. Inflation is rampant in the vehicle market.
    5. Home prices are stupid high. And I don't think you get more to write off, those writeoffs went away for most people, Maybe not you .

I don't buy that your retirement funds are seeing 7-9% higher returns. If you are a big investor in CD type funds, I"m assuming you are not in higher risk stuff in 401k's and stocks........ I play that market pretty well myself, and 7-9 percent higher than the last year, means you are a stock genius......Maybe you are, in which case, I'd like to get some of your advice .

The markets did perform well..........I made better than my average, which will guarantee me a solid retirement, but I did not do 7-9 percent higher.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I should also say that you all know I do a 7 week trip to Dale Hollow. I know for a FACT that my costs totally for that trip were up 30 percent. I have EXACT costs, for every item:

Food
    Cabin
    Slip
    Gas
    Gas on the Water
    Electric Rates ( I asked her)
    Fishing Lures, when you can FIND them

On the Slip, I had the marina tell me STRAIGHT up that it has been a bad year, and that they needed to raise the slip rate 25%.

So, from a very personal side view, I know we are in an inflationary period, and the next few years are going to be ugly, IMHO.

I also know that from everything I'm seeing my KY Lake trips will cost upwards of 25% more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoraSpook View Post
    GEO-SMS. We need the govt to mandate that to news networks.

Observations:

Prices for many consumer items are definitely up.

Food prices overall are up.

My retirement accounts in the stock market are on a roller coaster ride lately, once significant upswing amongst mostly downward swings. Two of the main funds lost 20+ cents a share yesterday. Don't know why, too disgusted to watch the news.

My main concern is the backlog of fishing electronics. Humminbird mega 360 is not to be had, and there is no clear date when it can be. My fishing partner bought a universal/deck mount transducer. We cut the shaft down, and my son 3D printed us an Ultrex mounting bracket. Can't even get a universal now. I'll have to get by with my Garmin Livescope setup, which is seriously awesome. Last club derby I found a stack of big spotted bass on the side of a creek channel, and caught a bunch of them on an A-rig as I watched the screen. Didn't get a check in the derby tho, a sack of spots and 16" largemouth ain't gonna win on Guntersville. A fellow club member weighed a 9.2 lb slob anchoring a sack of keepers and pretty much dusted us. Been following him around in case he bends over and that horseshoe falls out.

My home value, which has been skyrocketing has slowed down. That's neither here nor there, because if you sell, you still gotta buy another one.

Don't borrow money, so interest rates don't matter to me. My guess is they'll start up as the government tries to check inflation.

Our senile/benevolent dictator/President is responsible for a lot of things, but the price of gas isn't one of them.

The longer we continue to hole up and backlog due to Covid, the worse the economy will get. Yes it is real, yes it is serious, but we cannot continue to hunker down and operate at less than half capacity. Ky's Uncle Andy would disagree, but there it is.

Free printed government money is a short term bump with a devastating long term price tag.

The vax is a personal choice. Does it work? Indications are it at least helps, and so far known (emphasis on known) side effects are minimal. But then again I have yet to come down with Polio...even a mild case of it.

There are plenty of tragedies, but at some point the country has to accept Covid as part of life now and move on. Hating each other over the media driven politics certainly isn't going to help.

I may get, and it may kill me...but I absolutely refuse to live in fear or give up what freedom I have left. Both my brothers have had it. One of them who is fully vaxed has had it twice. One sister, a brother-in-law, a s-in-law, and nephews have had it. Nobody has not recovered completely. Our victims are from both pro ant anti vax camps, and none have changed their mind one way or the other about it. Hard headedness seems to run in the family, starting with my 85 year old mother who refuses to even discuss getting vaxed.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Devil Said:

The longer we continue to hole up and backlog due to Covid, the worse the economy will get. Yes it is real, yes it is serious, but we cannot continue to hunker down and operate at less than half capacity. Ky's Uncle Andy would disagree, but there it is.

I wanted to respond to this by itself. What do you think we should do to control covid and get the economy back going?

The Chinese locked down and entire city of 11 million people to get rid of Covid in Wuhan where it all started. They did that for a month and then were able to open the city back up. I don't know if that worked or not but it was one way to do in in a dictatorship communist country.

Now my idea and what I propose it to use the defense authorization act to make new vaccines that work with the new variants. The Army is doing that research right now. They are testing a vaccine for covid that works with all the different variants. I don't knows how they are doing that but it's a good start. We need to get a vaccine that prevents infection and use it on everybody fast. Thanks to the stupid Supreme Court 6 conservatives that won't happen so we will continue to have covid spreading unless everyone starts getting fully vaccinated.

Then we need to make billions of N95 type masks and start using them. Again, Biden could use the defense authorization act to force more companies to make these types of masks. They were not pushed before because the health care workers needed them. But we should have enough of them now for everyone to use. Other than a PAPR or a full-face respirator they are the next best type of mask. But even wearing paper and cloth masks is better than wearing nothing at all.

We need to keep people farther away from each other so the virus can't spread from one person to another. I read that they did some new testing with omicron and found that if the aerosols dry out the virus dies and can't replicate itself. Lower humidity helps dry out the virus and kill it. The viability of a virus goes down 50% in 20 minutes in a dry humidity environment. The study suspended the virus in a chamber with magnetic forces and then controlled the amount of uv light, humidity and temperature in the chamber and then grabbed samples of the virus out of the air and tested it in a lab to find out if it was still viable. They found that after 20 minutes its viability dropped by over 50%. So if we separate from each other and keep our distance the virus will not be as transmissible.

Then we need to clean up and disinfect.

Now these are reasonable and could be done but certain people don't think that they will follow these simple rules. And that is why the virus continues to spread and mutate. If we don't all follow these simple rules then the virus wins.

Post Thanks / Like

yes and no...

Geo, there is no denying costs for common goods have risen , but the increase didn't start the day Brandon took office. I have grocery receipts, I can prove it.
    I keep hearing how bad everything is and no one can afford to live and blah blah blah dee blah.
    Horsephokey!
    If times are sooo bad someone explain to me how EVERY lake, state park and outdoor venue is busting at the seems with people slinging money faster than vendors can catch it.
    The next time a marina tells you it's been a tough year you should punch them in their lying ass mouth as hard as you can. What they won't say is business is off the charts and they can and are charging whatever they want because people are running over people to pay it.
    I will admit it , I am living pretty **** good right now and that is either BECAUSE OF TRUMP THEN BRANDON or IN SPITE OF TRUMP THEN BRANDON
    does anyone else have the sack to admit they are doing pretty well these days????.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Geo, there is no denying costs for common goods have risen , but the increase didn't start the day Brandon took office. I have grocery receipts, I can prove it.
    I keep hearing how bad everything is and no one can afford to live and blah blah blah dee blah.
    Horsephokey!
    If times are sooo bad someone explain to me how EVERY lake, state park and outdoor venue is busting at the seems with people slinging money faster than vendors can catch it.
    The next time a marina tells you it's been a tough year you should punch them in their lying ass mouth as hard as you can. What they won't say is business is off the charts and they can and are charging whatever they want because people are running over people to pay it.
    I will admit it , I am living pretty **** good right now and that is either BECAUSE OF TRUMP THEN BRANDON or IN SPITE OF TRUMP THEN BRANDON
    does anyone else have the sack to admit they are doing pretty well these days????.....
    I never said it started with Biden.......but it is definitely accelerating under Biden. For 20+ years inflation was at about a manageable 4%. It is significantly higher now. 6% last month, 9% the month before.

I don't know the answers, but I do know I'm not looking forward to the double inflations that are coming.

Later,

Geo
    Likes Moveon liked this post