Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

St. George Island March

I'm currently in St. George island and would like to catch some fish. I'm interested in catching anything really just to have a good time, but would definitely be appreciative of something edible. I was wondering if anyone might could give me some tips on where to go and what to use during this time of year. I would be curious to know baits, rigs, tides that are best, and places that would be best. Thank you in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crfarrill2121 View Post
    I'm currently in St. George island and would like to catch some fish. I'm interested in catching anything really just to have a good time, but would definitely be appreciative of something edible. I was wondering if anyone might could give me some tips on where to go and what to use during this time of year. I would be curious to know baits, rigs, tides that are best, and places that would be best. Thank you in advance for your help!
    It has been a long time since I was there but I do remember a nice public pier there. Also where are you staying? The state park used to allow fishermen to go in to the very end of the island at the pass and fish at night. At one time it was very popular. You might ask them about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyman View Post
    It has been a long time since I was there but I do remember a nice public pier there. Also where are you staying? The state park used to allow fishermen to go in to the very end of the island at the pass and fish at night. At one time it was very popular. You might ask them about that.
    I will keep that in mind. Went yesterday afternoon but not to the Far East end of the state park. Caught a few whiting, but that's it. Going to try to get to the east end this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a long time since I have been able to fish St George in March but here goes--I hear the water is in the upper 50s, lower 60s after the cold spell. There may be a few pompano starting to show up in the surf side, especially around the East End and the Cut. Nylure jigs in yellow or pink tipped with a piece of shrimp or sand flea will do the job. If you have access to the Cut, I highly recommend trying there. On outgoing tide, you can climb out on the rocks and fish the gulf side where the sand bar drops off before the rocks. Jigs, shrimp, cut bait, spoons or large lures could easily find redfish, trout, flounder, pompano, sheepshead, black drum, etc. You will need a net and some good leaders to stay out of the rocks. Incoming tide, you can fish the end of the rocks toward the North, same lure/bait combos. If you can find the break in depth and current where it drops form 3-5 feet to 10+, anything is possible there but at times it is full of trout...and always rocks. In the surf, early and late try the deep parts before the sand bar, some reds, trout and a lot of whiting will be around those parts with an occasional flounder or shark showing up there. If you have a kayak or like to wade, the water on the bay side of the State Park can be good on low to incoming tides for reds. Look for grassy patches and for movement over the sand spots.

Good luck and post a report if you find something good!!