Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat registration may go up due to Asian Carp Invasion

Kentucky needs more funding to combat the spread of invasive Asian carp in the state’s waterways.
    To help fund this need, members of the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission’s Administration, Education and Policy Committee have recommended that the full commission consider increasing Kentucky boat registration fees at its March 17 meeting. The recommendation does not include fees on paddlecraft such as canoes or kayaks.
    Committee members say the increase is necessary to blunt Kentucky’s population explosion of Asian carp. These invasive carp, which threaten native sport fish species and present a safety hazard to recreational boaters, endanger the $1.2 billion fishing and recreational boating industry in western Kentucky.
    Kentucky is now home to three types of Asian carp: silver carp, big head carp and now black carp. Silver and big head carp numbers have exploded along most of the Ohio River and its tributaries. They are prevalent in Kentucky and Barkley lakes.
    A typical silver carp weighs from five to 30 pounds. Big heads can weigh more than 100 pounds, but 50-80 pounds is more common.
    Asian carp school by the thousands and can fill the air with jumping fish when a boat motor startles them. “The surface of the water around and in front of a moving boat can suddenly erupt with thousands of jumping fish,” said Fisheries Division Director Ron Brooks, a nationally recognized authority on this invasive species. “The damage to boats and injuries to boaters caused by high speed collisions with these fish are increasing each year.”
    Safety problems caused by Asian carp are growing. The department already receives reports of water skiers and tubers being struck by jumping fish while skimming behind a boat going 30 mph. On some Kentucky waterways, it is becoming a likely and dangerous occurrence.
    Controlling Asian carp is a challenge for states drained by the Mississippi River and its various tributaries.
    “Asian carp are extremely prolific breeders and have been competing with our native fisheries for quite some time,” said Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commissioner Gregory Johnson. “Each female fish can produce up to a million eggs and spawn multiple times each year. Their numbers have reached the point now where they even threaten the safety of our boaters.”
    Recreational boaters threatened by the presence of Asian carp may be asked to help fund the effort to take on this menace.
    Kentucky annually registers more than 170,000 motorized vessels. Boater registration fees pay for new boat ramps, maintenance of 165 aging ramps and provides for boating safety and enforcement.
    Kentucky has not raised its boat registration fees in 15 years. In evaluating the state’s pricing structure, committee members noted that registering a boat in Kentucky costs far less on average than the surrounding states. Proposed new rates would continue to keep Kentucky’s registration fees lower than neighboring states.
    Controlling the fishes’ numbers and territorial expansions are forcing the department to seek additional resources. Department officials identified a shortfall of about $1.8 million needed for Asian carp control, engineering programs that build and maintain boat launch ramps for boater access, boater safety and enforcement.
    The recommendations include increasing registration pricing for boats under 16 feet in length from $19 to $24 (neighboring state average is $22.50); boats 16-26 feet from $23 to $38 (Neighbor average is $40); boats 26-40 feet from $29 to $50 (neighbor average is $72); and boats longer than 40 feet from $33 to $60 (neighbor average is $96). Inboards would increase from $34 to $47 and boats powered only by trolling motors from $9 to $14.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm generally not for tax increases because too often much of it is wasted and more revenue usually attributes to government waste. However in this case as long as they actually put the money towards the Asian Carp problem I'm all for it. Things have to be done and it obviously will cost money. And just the fact that registration hasn't increased in fifteen years it makes sense at some point just to keep up with inflation there needs to be an increase.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as that's what it's used for, bring it. Charge me more for my license, KDFWR. Don't care. We have to do something big, and do it before it's too late.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    As long as that's what it's used for, bring it. Charge me more for my license, KDFWR. Don't care. We have to do something big, and do it before it's too late.

Yeah, I bet if they offered an optional donation when buying licenses for donating money that went exclusively towards fighting the Asian Carp problem they would get a lot of people donating. People understand this has to be attacked sooner than later before it's to late.
    Likes jkelley1487, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. As long as they put the money into the KDNR.

All too often the governor or the other politicans get their hands on the new money and spend it on other things. That's the only problem I can see.

When I first got my new boat back in 1978 I had it registered in KY instead of IN. It was not until I was up at Patoka Lake that I got a ticket for not having a valid IN boat registration. That was well into the late 1990's when that happened. So now I registered the boat and pay the excise tax each year like everyone else. My boat was just under 16 ft. long and I thought it was exempt somehow. But the boat stayed at home most of the year. I took it fishing for a week or two each year down at KY lake. Only after Patoka Lake was opened did I start fishing it. But I still fished KY lake several times a years. Usually in the spring and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I'm generally not for tax increases because too often much of it is wasted and more revenue usually attributes to government waste. However in this case as long as they actually put the money towards the Asian Carp problem I'm all for it. Things have to be done and it obviously will cost money. And just the fact that registration hasn't increased in fifteen years it makes sense at some point just to keep up with inflation there needs to be an increase.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen a single one, snagged one or had one of those carp to jump in my boat yet, and I've fished the ky river, Ohio river, Ky lake, Barkley lake, Dale hollow, Cherokee, Norris lakes in tn, Weiss lake, Guntersville lakes in Alabama, Sardis lake in Mississippi, and santee cooper in SC. makes me wonder if the carp problem is as bad as the tax collectors are saying it is..
    Likes bassinking liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I haven't seen a single one, snagged one or had one of those carp to jump in my boat yet, and I've fished the ky river, Ohio river, Ky lake, Barkley lake, Dale hollow, Cherokee, Norris lakes in tn, Weiss lake, Guntersville lakes in Alabama, Sardis lake in Mississippi, and santee cooper in SC. makes me wonder if the carp problem is as bad as the tax collectors are saying it is..
    Seriously? I don't know or see a lot of heroin addicts, but I know what a huge problem it is.

I don't need to catch one to believe the folks who are saying it could end fishing as we know it. Dave Stewart and others. For a guy who makes his living fishing, I tend to believe him when he says "Unless mother nature steps in and evens things out like she does in many cases where a species is getting over populated....your kids and grandkids will be fishing for Asians in order to catch any numbers of fish."

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...092#post538092

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot, go fish below ky or barkley dam. Its a graveyard most the time down there on the banks where people catch them carp and toss em on the banks. People snag down there and hit a carp on every retrieve. Here before to long these carp will be below every dam and sooner rather than later be in every lake. They already seem to believe the asian carp are in taylorsville

Post Thanks / Like
    Come hunting with me. Had them in the boat when hunting the backwater this year. Had them jump above newburgh and just above uniontown and in the little creek that drains out of hovey lake. Went through a mess of them down around wickliffe on the miss as well.

They are out there and plenty of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    They already seem to believe the asian carp are in taylorsville
    IF they are, then someone PUT THEM THERE !! They are in the Salt River, BELOW the Taylorsville Dam ... I can verify that. But, there's no way for them to be IN Taylorsville Lake, other than being manually placed there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    IF they are, then someone PUT THEM THERE !! They are in the Salt River, BELOW the Taylorsville Dam ... I can verify that. But, there's no way for them to be IN Taylorsville Lake, other than being manually placed there.
    lots of guys go down there and throw cast nets for shad and take them up in the lake for catfish bait. Im willing to bet that thats how they have gotten in there. If they even are. I was watching ky afield when a biologist had reported seeing a small school of asian carp on the lake. With that being the only report ive heard of, who knows still dont understand why anyone would throw a net fown there when the lakes overflowing with shad

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for this increase because if these fish aren't stopped, these great fisheries are doomed. I would like to know how they plan on spending the extra money to attack these fish.