Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Chinook, Minnehaha, Greene Sullivan

Does anyone fish the Chinook or Minnehaha strip pits? Just wondering which pits provide better fishing? After Bass, Redear, Bluegill and Crappie.

Also, many years ago around Linton/Dugger there was a chain of pits referred to as "thousand islands" does it still exist? Any fish left in there?

Last, maybe some information on the better pits within Greene Sullivan to try?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Mauser

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chinook, Minnehaha, Greene Sullivan

Thousand islands is private property now. Try lakes(pits) west of Dugger.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Airline Pit on Sept. 10th , caught a limit of rainbows , one of which was 17" . Minnehaha was closed for waterfowl hunting until the 21st & then again sometime in Oct. I would check before going . There a LOT of pits in that area to fish - check the DNR web site http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/6455.htm . If gas prices ever go back down I would fish it more , it takes $60 or more to drive there from Evansville .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mauser6818 View Post
    Does anyone fish the Chinook or Minnehaha strip pits? Just wondering which pits provide better fishing? After Bass, Redear, Bluegill and Crappie.

Also, many years ago around Linton/Dugger there was a chain of pits referred to as "thousand islands" does it still exist? Any fish left in there?

Last, maybe some information on the better pits within Greene Sullivan to try?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Mauser
    Yes, I fish Chinook frequently. For bass, the first lake on the right after you enter offers a lot of weeds and standing timber. This is where the bass fishermen normally launch their boats. There is another large pit farther down on the right. On the left just as you enter is Hog Pit. I've caught some nice size -- 3/4 lb or so -- red ears out of here. Minnehaha, I don't remember the name, but the first pit on the right as you go west on the highway. Fish the points starting those nearest the entrance and work your way back.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, after you pass the first entrance on the right, there is another area just about 1/4 mile north that are pits also. These are the Staunton pits and a map of the waters is there as well. The grounds and lakes are more well manicured here than they are at Chinook, but to my knowledge they are all part of the old Amax Chinook operation.