Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Downtown Pikeville Area Fishing?

Hey Guys,

I'm making a trip down to Pikeville for some basketball games this coming weekend (Dec. 12). Just wodering about the fishing within a short distance of downtown. Would like to get out the fly rod but anything would do.

The KDFWR noted Hambley Lake and Levisa Fork of The Big Sandy. Just wondering how those are, if anyone has any experiences there.

Really looking for smallies or trout, just in that mood with the cold moving in, but would settle for whatever is out there.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Downtown Pikeville Area Fishing?

any of the mountain streams along the roadways have smallmouth in them. I used to wade them as a teenager and caught many around 10-14 inches biggest was around 3 1/2 Lbs. The big sandy has smallmouth and sauger in it but can be muddy after any type of rain. Fishtrap lake spillway is a good place to trout fish. They stock it and you can get to the waters edge and fly fish if you like. It is about a 20 min drive from downtown tho if I remember right.

Post Thanks / Like

Isnt Paintsville lake near there?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from Pikeville and the Hambley Pond or it's also called the Pikeville Pond is okay, but if I were trying to fish from the bank for smallies or trout I would try the spillway at fishtrap its around a little town called millard and its right at the confluence of the Levisa Fork and the Tug Fork. there are nice populations of good size smallies and some trout. Live bait is best but there aren't any places that I know of that sell live bait you'd have to catch your own which probably wouldn't be best...but its only about 15-20 min drive from downtown to the spillway at fishtrap..thats your best bet!...ALSO I just remembered this.but at the Wal-mart on U.S. 23 right in Pikeville people have been driving under the bridge there and there is a big point bar where Buckleys creek flows into the Big Sandy and they say that people have been catching SM and Lm there so that would be a good spot as long as the water isn't up too much ...so that would be another spot right in Pikeville you could try. Andy G Paintsville lake is about 30-40 minutes North of Pikeville and there's actually Dewey lake in Prestonsburg before you get to paintsville and Dewey is a much better fishing lake than paintsville in my opinion, but yeah P-ville lake is close by.

Post Thanks / Like

dewey lake is great trout fishing below the dam good luck have a safe trip

Post Thanks / Like

Pikeville Area Tossin Flys

Quote Originally Posted by sweett4u View Post
    dewey lake is great trout fishing below the dam good luck have a safe trip
    Would that be Stratton Branch or Johns Creek for trout? I’m gonna be in the area for two night for work and I’ve brought all my fly fishing gear from South Dakota, would like to get on some trout!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kcape93 View Post
    Would that be Stratton Branch or Johns Creek for trout? I’m gonna be in the area for two night for work and I’ve brought all my fly fishing gear from South Dakota, would like to get on some trout!!
    That post is 10 years old! 😂