Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting Rid of Turtles

Does anyone know how to get rid of mud turtles in a pond. They are everywhere and very aggressive-lost a good top water bait to a huge one this morning. Any help would be greatly appericated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting Rid of Turtles

Call Ernie Brown, aka the Turtleman.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Call Ernie Brown, aka the Turtleman.......
    Yeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyey!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You guys beat me to it

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot them with a .22 and i just recently say they sell traps to catch them online that arent to aweful on price.

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

The way we do it is to take and tie a BIG hook to a piece of trot line. Drive a stake in the ground or use a tree or post or anything you have there. Make the line to where the hook will be about 6-8 feet from the bank when you throw it out. Put a piece of deer meat on it and throw it out over night. Make sure that whatever you use to tie the line to is strong enough to hold the pull of the turtle. We have cleaned turtles out of ponds doing this within a couple days using multiple lines.

Once we get them drug up to the bank we just shoot them. Like what you see on swamp people, but with turtles and not gators.

P.S. They will be highly ticked when you pull them in. Be ready.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

A 22, a lawn chair, radio, six-pack, and a lot of amo....have fun!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
    The way we do it is to take and tie a BIG hook to a piece of trot line. Drive a stake in the ground or use a tree or post or anything you have there. Make the line to where the hook will be about 6-8 feet from the bank when you throw it out. Put a piece of deer meat on it and throw it out over night. Make sure that whatever you use to tie the line to is strong enough to hold the pull of the turtle. We have cleaned turtles out of ponds doing this within a couple days using multiple lines.

Once we get them drug up to the bank we just shoot them. Like what you see on swamp people, but with turtles and not gators.

Jason
    Did the same thing in my buddies private pond only instead of deer meat we used sardines. We took out 11 turtles in one day. Gave them all to his uncle who cleaned them and ate them. I didn't get to try it but apparently they taste great.

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFish513 View Post
    Did the same thing in my buddies private pond only instead of deer meat we used sardines. We took out 11 turtles in one day. Gave them all to his uncle who cleaned them and ate them. I didn't get to try it but apparently they taste great.
    I have never tried it myself. My Dad like them, he makes turtle soup, but he said its something he has to be in the mood for.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Getting Rid of Turtles

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post

Jason
    Beef chunks work very well. Don't waste that Venison !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    A 22, a lawn chair, radio, six-pack, and a lot of amo....have fun!

-Rich
    That was my first thought, but close to neighbors. I think I will try the trot line tied to a tree. If I catch any, then I will use the .22 of mabe the .410.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 choices

One: Empty 2 liter soda bottle, about 18" line and small stout hook. Thin slice of beef liver for bait--It is really tough and hard to get off. Toss them out at night like you are jug fishing. Next morning check for jugs near the bank. The turtles will try to hid in moss or under bushes.
    Two: 223 with hollow points. A bit more power makes all the difference.