Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green river lake

I know the water is up but how is the fishing? We are having a guys trip this coming weekend and any help would be nice of you guys. We are bass fisherman but are not opposed to crappie fishing if they are biting good. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    Nobody?
    All I know is : the lake is 8ft over Summer Pool & falling. The Crappie anglers I know about have been catching fish over the past few weeks, Pushing jigs. But, most of them were at the CUSA tourney at Cumberland this past weekend, so they would have been pre-fishing last week at Cumberland and not reporting on what they did at Green. It's supposed to warm up until Sat, then rain & get cooler thru Monday.

Luck2ya, if ya go !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank ya much for the reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bass fished Green monday 4/9 for about 8.5 hours. The lake conditions are currently pretty much the same as they have been for the last 3 weeks, other than the water level going up and down but I guess that is also the same because it has been like a Yo Yo since late February. Water temp is low to mid 50's pending area of the lake and time of day. From Holmes Bend up it gets very dirty. Around Corbin's bend it is stained and towards ramp #1 and up in Taylor County it has light stained areas but mostly decent color.

For me Monday was slow but still decent. It was not what I expected for the time of the year but it beats being at work. I would catch one here and one there with the few I caught coming on a variety of baits. I would catch one or two the same way and think I could duplicate what I done but it just never happened for me so I would switch tactics. I never could put together a pattern and duplicate a bite.

I keep telling myself it's getting ready to bust lose and go crazy but mother nature keeps throwing curve balls. For example tonight 4/10 they have a freeze warning, friday 4/13 is suppose the be a high of 77 and then saturday and sunday 4/14-15 is calling for a pretty good rain event. They are forecasting 1.3" for this weekend. The corps is pulling the lake down at a decent pace. They might get it close to a couple feet over summer pool by this weekend but if we get the 1.3" of rain that is forecasted it will be right back in the parking lot by monday or tuesday of next week...right now I think the fish are confused with the Yo Yo up and down water and the low to mid 50's water in the second week of April or maybe it's just me who is confused LOL. If someone went and told me they loaded the boat I would not be surprised. If someone went and told me they struggled to catch fish I would not be surprised.
    Likes Wormin, slamson71 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info and very sensible report.
    Likes slamson71 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    All I know is : the lake is 8ft over Summer Pool & falling. The Crappie anglers I know about have been catching fish over the past few weeks, Pushing jigs. But, most of them were at the CUSA tourney at Cumberland this past weekend, so they would have been pre-fishing last week at Cumberland and not reporting on what they did at Green. It's supposed to warm up until Sat, then rain & get cooler thru Monday.

Luck2ya, if ya go !!
    I know this is probably too late, but might help anyone headed out this week/weekend.

We had 30 teams show up to fish our USABassin tournament on Saturday, April 14th. We paid 6 places and 13.73 got a check. Bruce and I won it with a 23.65 pound limit, but only had 6 keeper bites (5 good fish and a 13 inch spot). We caught 5 of our 6 fish on spinnerbaits while it was still windy. Our 6th fish was a nice 4 pound smallie caught on an Alabama rig late in the tournament. All the spinner bait fish were shallow (1-3 feet) near shoreline brush/grass in small cuts or near rip-rap. The Smallie was on a main-lake flat. The second place weight was 19.14 pounds, anchored by a 6.95 pound female that looked like she was ready to burst. They caught the big one flipping the bank in a small main-lake cut... Not sure about the rest of their fish.

What we found odd was that there were several teams that are usually very strong on Green that struggled. The bite was tougher than normal for this time of year as only 10 limits came to the scales.

For lake level, here is a link that I use to monitor it... It is quite handy as it updates hourly and shows the lake level in 5 minute interevals... You can pick a date-range or number of days view. It makes it really easy to project what the lake level will be a few days out:
    https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/n...05990&period=2

Right now it is at 80.56 feet and falling at about 0.7 ft per day. (summer pool is 75 feet)

Good luck to anyone headed out!

Clint Cone
    USABassin Green River Lake division director

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. We saw you guys roughing out there Saturday in the wind and rain. We were staying at one of the floating cabins at he state marina. My buddy did manage to get 7.5 the first day we were there (Friday) before the weather turned to crap. Bit much luck the other days. His to came on a white and chartreuse spinner bait right off the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    I know the water is up but how is the fishing? We are having a guys trip this coming weekend and any help would be nice of you guys. We are bass fisherman but are not opposed to crappie fishing if they are biting good. Thanks!

Just a heads-up - I've never been to Green River in my life but they are having a high school regional tournament there this Saturday. Not sure how many boats but I'm guessing upwards of 75-100. I have heard that there is also a large crappie tournament the same day but have no idea if that's true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by voeller101 View Post
    Just a heads-up - I've never been to Green River in my life but they are having a high school regional tournament there this Saturday. Not sure how many boats but I'm guessing upwards of 75-100. I have heard that there is also a large crappie tournament the same day but have no idea if that's true.

They "WERE" going to have a Crappie USA tourney there this weekend, but postponed it until June (due to high water).

Post Thanks / Like

Green river report today.

Fished today mostly for crappie. Found them in 10-12’ with jigs and minnows. Trolling them about 0.4-0.8 mph. Ended up with 15 keepers and one really nice black off a point in snake creek area. Water temp was 58. Pretty dirty up passed the bridge. Not a lot of boats up there, only about 8 at the ramp. Bass bite still pretty good on spinnerbaits! Caught 3 in less than 3’ water. I drowned a bunch of minnows in brush by the bank, but nothing there yet... for me anyway! Tight lines.
    Likes fishincreek liked this post