Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

first float n fly fish this fall

Sunday, 11/7/10 I put in at grider hill dock. while still in the idle zone I fished the last point on the right ( it was still in the shade) on my third cast BAM! set the hook and the fight was on. The fish never broke the suface, just alot of hard pulling and diving. I started wondering if it was a smallmouth. But when it finally broke the suface i saw that it was a beautiful bronzeback, 16 incher. On the same point 10 cast later i boated a 15 incher. An hour later on another main lake point i caught a 12 incher. It was great seeing that bobber going down. I fished from 9am till noon using a duck chartuse fly that I make. Leader 7 1/2 foot, water temp. 63.7 I know that its early for the fly but there were a few fish willing to take the fly. Cant hardly wait for that 50 degree water temp.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: first float n fly fish this fall

Man, you got me shaking in me boots.....never thought it with water temps this high. Thanks for the post.

If you see a LUND boat pulling boards and down riggers, don't be suprised if there's a BOBBER POLE hanging off the back..........

Love that FNF.....

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever try f-n-f on lakes like Barren or Nolin? There is a healthy population of smallies in Barren, but sure if This will work there

Post Thanks / Like

I used it on Green a couple months or so back....couldn't get any of the brownfish to take it but caught a ton of KY's and got a nice pull from a catfish.....water might be a bit stained for the FNF in those lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Anyone ever try f-n-f on lakes like Barren or Nolin? There is a healthy population of smallies in Barren, but sure if This will work there
    fished a winter turnament on Barren, it's been awile but it was in January, water looked like coffee with cream in it, caught a 5+ on a finesse bait, and then nothing, had our f&f rigs and went down to the walls on the left by the dam, we were not very confident about the F&F but through it anyway, caught 5 KYs 3 keepers, took 2nd place, so if I were their I would try it, about 8ft deep to start

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Can somebody please tell me what this Float n Fly stuff is all about?

Post Thanks / Like

Can the float and fly be fished on a 7th rod or do you reallyhave to have a ten footer?

Post Thanks / Like

The advantage of the longer rod allows you to use a longer leader. The longer rod will be beneficial in casting the longer leader, plus helps in fighting the bigger fish. My rule of thumb is the length of the rod is just about the length of the leader you can fish plus 25%. 7 foot rod should be able to fish a 7 foot leader effectively and go up to almost 10 foot leader if needed. Never fished it