Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp

Fellow fisherman, go into crappie.com on the forum page and read the post Kick in the Gut. It's about Asian carp and crappie on Ky Lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
    Fellow fisherman, go into crappie.com on the forum page and read the post Kick in the Gut. It's about Asian carp and crappie on Ky Lake.

I cannot find the article........how about just linking......I think Peter would be fine with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I cannot find the article........how about just linking......I think Peter would be fine with that.
    I found it ..........I think.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...-carp-crappie/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    No ... he's talking about this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...ut-guys-3.html

(and don't be surprised if this thread gets deleted, because these two sites are competitor sites & don't have an agreement to allow mentioning/linking to the other site)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry , didn't mean to start a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem .... (so far) ... as the thread is still open.

But, yeah the Asian Carp problem at KY/Barkley is having an effect on ALL the fish species in those lakes, and we're a long way from a viable solution. This is not a "new" problem ... it started many many years ago and has just gotten worse over the years. All this flooding we've been experiencing has only exacerbated the problem, because Asian Carp spawn in high current flood conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    No problem.

Thanks, Peter !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    No problem.
    What can be done to stop these horrible creatures? I used to love to fish Harrods Creek in Louisville , but the Asians are so thick in there it is no fun anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    If one jumps in your boat,or you snag ,or catch one please cut its gills before you throw it back.If I go fishing at Ky or Barkley Lake and get near the dams I will go and throw a crank bait for a while and almost always catch Asian carp and it is illegal to release them alive.I see others catch or snag them,cuss them but turn around and just release the fish,makes no sense to me.I always offer fish to someone who may wish to eat them or cut gills before I release them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    What can be done to stop these horrible creatures? I used to love to fish Harrods Creek in Louisville , but the Asians are so thick in there it is no fun anymore
    Don't bother going to the Salt River, either. They've made their way up the Salt to the spillway at Taylorsville Lake. I've rolled a few over casting Road Runners there, and a friend of mine caught one about 20lbs and landed it. She didn't know what it was & turned it loose. She won't be doing that again !!

They are in about every body of water that's connected to the Ohio or Mississippi rivers, either directly (creeks/rivers) or in lakes with locks at their dams that are connected to those waterways. They're even making their way up the Tenn River, and have probably reached as far as the Chickamauga Lake at Chattanooga (if not farther).

Even with the processing plants (which some are expanding) and the commercial anglers hauling them out by the tons ... it's a drop in the bucket compared with their reproductive abilities and their current territory.

As of right now ... there is nothing that can be done to eradicate them. No biologicals, chemicals, or predators are available to even slow down their spread (without potential harm to sport fish species).

The only thing I can think of that would 'eventually' get rid of them is something that would render them sterile, but not any other specie of fish. Even then it would take years before their numbers were reduced to the point where they were no longer a threat. Even if they did manufacture some sort of sterilizing biological or chemical .... can you imagine how much it would cost to treat all the affected waters ??

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping and cooking them,

Folks.........they are dayam GOOD........seriously. I've harvested them and they are tasty.

I talked to a guy that said they are so plentiful that he has no problem wasting fish when cleaning them.

From what I understand, he just takes the "ribs, and the tail piece that is boneless. Look on the net for how to clean them, and you will find a million videos. Here is what I've done and what seems to work.

* from the last fin back on the tail, all that meat is boneless. Take that, and clean all the red meat off. This is FANTASTIC stuff.

* Filet through the bones past the ribcage like you'd filet anything. Then look down the ribcage. on the big ones, you can see the rib bones. cut parallel to those bones.

* No matter how to cut it up or hack it up.......clean off all the red and grey meat. That crap is disgusting ) .

* One guy calls these cuts carp-wings, but I talked to a guy that calls them carp popcicles. He takes those 2 x 2 cuts, and deep fries them. Then he eats them like a popcicle. Says they are FANTASTIC.

Take a few, and try it.

Later,

Geo