Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technonorb Guest

The Elephant in the room

I see no Ky. Lake or Barkley posts and I think I know why. We have been coming to Ky. Lake in April and or May for last 26 years for crappie, bass and or Shellcrackers and last 3 have been terrible fishing. Hope they figure out this Asian Carp thing as we not only miss the great fishing in the past but also will miss the great people and area.

Ironically we are going back to Lake Erie that had to deal with a Goby invasion in the 90's but limits of nice walleye and smallmouth are common again and daily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've caught some nice shellcrackers this past week and it is just now getting good. It should be pretty good from right now through the next three weeks for the big redear and bluegills.

Regarding crappie, my buddies were knocking the fire out of them from the bank up until recently. They are strictly bank fishermen and they were catching 12 or more fat crappie every morning all through the end of March until very recently.

I've got a cooler with 12 big redear in it right now. They are Thick fish! I'm getting ready to clean them this morning. Fishing is going to get better because they finally put in place some infrastructure to combat the AC.
    Likes charley2 liked this post

Technonorb Guest
    Good news... Hope all fishing comes back. My favorite place and always planned to get a house on the lake and retire there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Technonorb View Post
    Good news... Hope all fishing comes back. My favorite place and always planned to get a house on the lake and retire there...
    I found this on the crappie in Kentucky lake its has a lot of good info.https://mail.twc.com/do/mail/message...US&v=twc_theme
    Last edited by Wormin; 04-29-2019 at 11:29 PM. Reason: This link did not work.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    try that link on crappie at ky lake

Technonorb Guest
    Hey... I hope all is good but I personally, and friends who live there don't see it either. Check out recent You Tube Bass tourney.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping and praying that the commercial fishermen who are finally getting very serious about pursuing asian carp, will provide light at the end of the tunnel. If you do the math, just one seasoned commercial boat crew can catch an absolutely staggering amount of AC in one week. Apparently they've been fished out in parts of Asia, so that's a good footnote.

I'm sure by the end of May, I'll have a stronger opinion one way or the other. I have seen very thick and girthy crappie and redear so far this spring. I've always been a strong believer in girthy fish ='s a healthy fishery. Of course as a local property owner, I'm of course biased.

Technonorb Guest
    Again great news... keep us up on whats going on. Thanks Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    I'm hoping and praying that the commercial fishermen who are finally getting very serious about pursuing asian carp, will provide light at the end of the tunnel. If you do the math, just one seasoned commercial boat crew can catch an absolutely staggering amount of AC in one week. Apparently they've been fished out in parts of Asia, so that's a good footnote.

I'm sure by the end of May, I'll have a stronger opinion one way or the other. I have seen very thick and girthy crappie and redear so far this spring. I've always been a strong believer in girthy fish ='s a healthy fishery. Of course as a local property owner, I'm of course biased.
    Redear, any idea how property values have been affected if at all by this? I have heard rumors...

Post Thanks / Like
    They seem to be doing better on getting people around here to eat them. They say they are really good. A few years ago I was in a restaurant in a different state and had fish dish with an oriental name. It was very good so I asked what kind of fish it was as and they said Silver Carp.

https://www.leoweekly.com/2019/04/ca...ck-knife-fork/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Redear, any idea how property values have been affected if at all by this? I have heard rumors...
    JCB, I was convinced around this same time last year that things were headed south on property values but I personally haven't seen that play out.

With my little place they've actually gone up a bit. We paid around 43k for our place in 2014 and comparables are going for 60-65k. That's not to say it hasn't hurt some properties, I'm sure it has but I'm not directly aware of that happening.
    Likes jcb liked this post